The AMSI Foundation is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the “Privacy Act”) and the privacy provisions of other applicable legislation. We must follow the Australian Privacy Principles in relation to collecting, holding, using, disclosing, protecting and allowing access to your personal information.
Your personal information
We may collect the following kinds of information about you:
- your name, contact information (eg mailing address, phone number and email address), and financial information (eg bank account or credit card details);
- details of your donation history, emails, letters and other interactions with AMSI and the AMSI Foundation.
Collecting personal information
The AMSI Foundation usually collects your personal information directly from you when you provide it over the phone, through our website, by email, or through an online form.
You can remain anonymous or use a pseudonym when you contact us and if you make a donation. We will respect your anonymity. Note that if you choose not to provide us with your personal information, we may not, for example, be able to provide you with an official tax-deductible receipt or a letter of thanks, or assist you fully with your query or complaint.
Storing personal information
The AMSI Foundation will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is secure and protected from misuse, loss or unauthorised access or use.
The AMSI Foundation holds your personal information securely through physical and electronic means. Staff are trained in our privacy procedures and your information is stored in secure databases. Only authorised staff have access to your information, and only when it is required.
The AMSI Foundation will destroy or de-identify your personal information when we no longer need it for the purpose for which it was collected, unless the law requires otherwise.
Using your personal information
We use your personal information to carry out our charitable activities. For example, we use your personal information to:
- process any donations you may send to us
- send to you information about AMSI and the AMSI Foundation, and keep you informed about our work
- confirm who you are when you contact us
- respond to your questions, feedback or complaints
- circulate questionnaires to improve our services
- analyse donor activity to improve our effectiveness
- report on our activities including producing our Annual Report
- to promote our upcoming events, appeals, projects or other activities.
If you make a donation to the AMSI Foundation we will always provide a simple means for you to opt out of receiving further AMSI and AMSI Foundation communications.
If you wish to opt out of communications you are currently receiving, simply email email@example.com or use the unsubscribe options in our newsletters.
Disclosing your information
The AMSI Foundation will only use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles. This may include where use or disclosure is required by law, where we have your consent to the use or disclosure, or for the purpose for which it was collected or related purposes where you would reasonably expect the AMSI Foundation to use or disclose that personal information.
Under no circumstances do we sell your information to third parties.
The AMSI Foundation may disclose information to trusted third parties on a confidential basis such as:
- contracted service providers or partners engaged by us to provide alumni, supporter and fundraising related services, such as banks, mailing houses, logistics, IT service providers, and social media platforms
- government departments such as the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) (where you make a gift or donation)
- your financial institution in the case of direct debit or credit card transaction issues.
The AMSI Foundation may also use and disclose your personal information to overseas providers such as cloud service providers. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the recipient will act in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
Keeping your information accurate
The AMSI Foundation aims to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete, up-to-date, relevant and not misleading. However the accuracy of this information is largely dependent on the information you provide.
To assist us with this, please contact us if you are aware of any changes required to your personal information.
Accessing your information
You have a right to access, update and correct personal information that the AMSI Foundation holds about you. Before providing access to or correcting your personal information, we may require you to verify your identity.
Requests for access to personal information should be made by email, post or phone using the contact details provided below.
Please contact us if:
- you would like to know what personal information the AMSI Foundation holds about you and how you can gain access to it, or you would like to correct or update it; or
- you believe that your privacy has been breached, or if you believe that the AMSI Foundation has breached the Australian Privacy Principles or the Privacy Act, and you wish to make a complaint.
You may contact us by:
- Mail: The AMSI Foundation, Building 161, Monash Road, c/- The University of Melbourne, VIC 3010
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 03 8344 1777 between 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.