La Trobe University’s Statistics Consultancy Platform is hosting the following training:
WORKSHOP: Basic Statistics with R
PRESENTER: Dr Amanda Shaker
DATES: February 20-21, 2019
LOCATION: La Trobe University, Bundoora campus
OBJECTIVE: To teach participants a simple yet powerful way to design and carry out statistical analyses in R.
CONTENT: The workshop introduces statistical concepts in a non-technical way and emphasises their practical application in R. There will be plenty of opportunities to gain hands-on experience and to access in-class support.
- introduction to R
- importing and exporting data sets
- numerical and graphical summaries of data
- descriptive statistics and plots
- hypothesis testing (t-tests, ANOVA & Chi-squared tests)
- confidence intervals and p-values
- simple linear regression
- power and sample size considerations
The R package will be used within the user friendly R-Studio interface.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND? researchers and HDR students – especially those involved in the health sciences, social sciences, life sciences and psychological sciences – or anyone who wants to learn basic statistical concepts to apply in R.
PREREQUISITES: A basic understanding of statistics is helpful but not essential. No prior knowledge of R is assumed.
COST: $1,094.50 (GST inclusive).
- “A very good course. Highly recommended” Sajal Zia, HDR, La Trobe University
- “It was a really good beginner’s guide and covered a lot of useful basic statistics and plotting” Elizabeth Morse-McNabb, DEDJTR
- “I would like to say how clearly and methodically the workshop was presented by Amanda, with the added support by Xia. Both were so enthusiastic, extremely helpful and engaging. The workbook is so well written that, even though many applications were beyond my full understanding … I was able to achieve most of the exercises.” Fleur King, HDR, La Trobe University
- “It was such a complete package” Edith Bavin, Adjunct Professor, La Trobe University
- “The instructors were great. Thanks for making the workshop an enjoyable one.” Michael Heaven, DEDJTR
REGISTRATION: Register by 18 February, 2019.