The Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI) and The Australian Centre for Career Education (ACCE) are proudly partnering with the support of the Toyota Community Trust, to host the 2024 Teacher Professional Learning in Industry day on Tuesday May 21, 2024.
The day will bring together secondary mathematics teachers and careers advisors with tertiary educators and industry. The purpose of this professional development opportunity is to provide teachers and careers advisors with information on the enormous and growing demand for mathematics and statistics in the workforce, the industry roles that require mathematical skills, and the appropriate study pathways for these exciting careers.
Mathematics teachers and careers advisors will be empowered to:
- Inspire students about the exciting career opportunities available to them when they continue to study mathematical sciences and broader STEM.
- Demonstrate the link between student’s mathematics learning and careers.
- Provide advice on subject choices needed to achieve those careers.
- Help increase participation rates in mathematics and guide students toward careers in high demand.
When and where:
The Teacher Professional Learning in Industry day will be held in Melbourne on Tuesday 21 May 2024. The event will begin at the University of Melbourne Parkville Campus in the morning and move on to our industry partners Aurecon and Champion Data in the afternoon.
Maths teachers and careers advisors from schools across Victoria are invited to attend.
We understand the difficulty in replacing teachers in the classroom when they attend professional development days and we have approximately 25 casual relief bursaries available for participants. If your school requires this assistance for you to participate, you can apply as part of your expression of interest, linked at the bottom of this page.
To increase the reach of the information and resources developed for the day, the following will be provided to participants and will also be available online:
- A video of the information sessions will be created to ensure access to the material for teachers and career advisors in other states and across regional and rural Australia.
- Career resources and lesson plans will also be available to participants and online, to enable teachers and careers advisors to link careers in the mathematical sciences to curriculum content for students.
Expressions of Interest to attend the Industry Tour Day:
The closing date for expressions of interest is Friday March 1st.
Please register your expressions of interest here.
Further details will be distributed after the EOI close date including registration information and notification of successful applicants for a casual relief support bursary.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
With gratitude to our Industry Partners