- Manage and lead the engineering operations and maintenance of a unique scientific facility
- Work with scientists and engineers from Australia, the UK and South Africa
- Join the SKA team and be part of one of the largest scientific endeavours in history
The SKA Observatory (SKAO) is a next-generation global radio-astronomy facility that will revolutionise our understanding of the Universe and the laws of fundamental physics. It is one observatory with two telescopes – SKA-Low in Western Australia and SKA-Mid in South Africa. Under the collaboration agreement with SKAO, CSIRO is offering an outstanding opportunity for an experienced Engineering Operations leader to join the SKA-Low management team as a core member.
The Head of Engineering Operations will be responsible for maintenance and engineering operations of the SKA-Low Telescope, from antennas and stations through the signal chain to the central signal processor, as well as the critical supporting infrastructure for the telescope. The systems will be progressively handed over from construction to operations, with full operating capability of the telescope expected in 2028. This role includes managing and directing the work of the operations and maintenance teams to deliver the engineering objectives of the telescope.
The appointee will be an individual experienced with the wide span of operations, with specific proficiency in engineering operations in the context of an astronomical observatory, high-technology capability, or scientific facility.
Both CSIRO and SKAO value and respect difference and are committed to building an inclusive culture by creating an environment where you can balance a successful career with your commitments and interests outside of work. We believe that you will do your best at work if you have a work / life balance. Some roles lend themselves to flexible options more than others, so if this is important to you, please raise this during your interview, as we are open to discussing flexible working opportunities during the hiring process.
In this role you will:
- Provide the vision and leadership for a group of 30-40 staff who will be responsible for the engineering needs of SKAO in Australia, as well as the operational support and local development of the SKA-Low telescope, building an inclusive and high performing culture.
- Work with CSIRO and SKAO to hire a diverse and talented team of staff to support the engineering operations needs of the SKAO in Australia.
- Work as one of the senior staff of the SKAO in Australia as a core member of the SKA-Low Management Team.
- Own the SKA-Low telescope Standard Operating Procedures for engineering and maintenance activities to plan and implement engineering operations end-to-end, providing updates and reports as necessary.
- Work as a senior member of the Operations group to represent engineering performance issues, to promote and encourage best engineering practices.
- Work closely with the SKAO Engineering Managers in all aspects of engineering operations and performance across the Observatory to deliver common approaches that maximise efficiency and performance.
- Support the roadmap development for the tools, processes and techniques that will be required for the oversight and management of engineering performance of the Observatory.
Location: Geraldton, Western Australia
Salary: AU$141k – AU$157k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation; salary range is negotiable for the successful candidate where necessary to meet market rates.
For more information and to apply, please follow this link.
Applications close: 30 January 2022